Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mmmmmm....soups and casseroles

I’m hunkered down today on this chilly Sunday afternoon with a fire going reading my book, realizing how much I’m looking forward to making soups and casseroles. Is there anything better than coming inside after shoveling snow than a great big bowl of soup with some garlic bread on the side or maybe a piping hot casserole? I don’t think so either. Here are 2 of my favorite recipes…..

Kale Soup (my Dad’s favorite)

1 Tbsp butter
2-3 onions; chopped
1 lb. linguica
½ lb chourico
6 cups chopped Kale
2 quarts hot chicken stock
4 peeled and cubed potatoes
4 sliced carrots
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste
½ tsp pepper

In a deep pan sauté the onions in butter. Add meat that has been sliced and continue cooking until heated through. Slowly add hot stock. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 45 minutes.

Turkey Lasagna with Bechamel Cream Sauce

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
2 tsp minced garlic
2 large onions, chopped
3 cups of low-fat milk
¼ cup of white wine
1/3 cup of flour
¼ tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 16 oz pkg lasagna noodles, cooked
1 ½ lbs cottage cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
4 Tbsp grated parmesean cheese

In a large skillet heat olive oil…add turkey, garlic and onion and brown them. Heat milk, white wine, flour, pepper and nutmeg in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until flour has dissolved and the sauce thickens. Add turkey mixture. Mix well. Coat a 13x9 pan with olive oil. Preheat oven to 350. Lay cooked lasagna noodles in the pan and spoon turkey mixture on top. Place ½ cottage cheese on top and sprinkle with ½ the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30-35 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love kale soup, Chrissie! I will have to make some. I also like sweet potato kale soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had sweet potato kale soup! I'll have to try it....would you send me the recipe?

    ReplyDelete